Visiting the dentist is expensive. It burns a hole in your wallet.
Although we all know that oral health is important for your overall well-being, many Singaporeans often neglect dental care and are guilty of forgoing that dental visit or that much needed procedure because it is too expensive.
Well, if you don’t want your teeth to turn all black and yellow, you can start by learning about the costs of dental procedures and how to plan your budget to care for your teeth.
The average cost of dental procedures in Singapore
The cost of dental procedures varies widely depending on the type of procedure that you’re having done and the clinic you go to. Public dental clinics are generally much cheaper than private clinics but may be restrictive or have longer waiting time. Private clinics come with a larger price tag but usually provide more services and a shorter queue. If you are in urgent need of dental care, private dental clinics might be a better option for you.
The following is a rundown of the average costs for common dental procedures in Singapore.
Wisdom tooth extraction
Nearly 85% of adults have had their wisdom teeth removed to protect their oral health. The wisdom teeth are the last set of teeth to erupt in the mouth. They are the third molars and emerge in late puberty or early adulthood. People often have these teeth extracted when they do not emerge fully (teeth impaction) or grow out of alignment. They may affect neighbouring teeth or cause tooth decays and gum diseases. These conditions can be very painful.
Tooth extraction cost varies depending on the complexity of the procedure. However, the average cost ranges from $600 in a public dental clinic to $2200 or more in a private clinic. The high cost is a reflection of the complex surgery that is required for the removal of impacted wisdom teeth. The removal surgery can be done within a few hours but it might take days or weeks for the patient to fully recover.
Root canal treatment is often offered when a rotten or infected tooth has become painful but can still be saved. The treatment allows for the living part of the tooth (the root) to be removed. This is an alternative to extraction of the tooth. The treatment often requires at least two visits to the dental clinic.
The cost of root canal treatment varies depending on the tooth being treated. Incisors and canines are the easiest to treat as they are located at the front of the teeth. Treatment costs range from $270 in a public dental clinic to $1605 in a private clinic.
Dental implant surgery
If you are missing teeth, it doesn’t always mean that you have to get dentures like your grandparents. You may opt to have dental implants. These are a superior alternative to dentures as they are just like natural teeth. They include a titanium root that is implanted in the jaw. A synthetic tooth is then fitted.
The procedure of fitting the titanium root is complex and implants are therefore expensive. The average cost of the procedure ranges from $1,600 per tooth in a public clinic to $4,815 per tooth in a private clinic.
If you want to get braces to straighten your teeth but do not want to have railway tracks installed in your mouth, your alternative is definitely invisalign. You can work on getting an awesome smile without anyone knowing about it.
Invisalign are alternatives to traditional braces. They are transparent molds fitted over your teeth to align them. This means that only you and your dentist will know that you’re having your teeth aligned. You will also have to revisit your dentist regularly to have a new set fitted as your teeth moves gradually to the desired position.
Getting Invisalign will bring you the benefits as listed below:
1. Appearance – They are virtually invisible. This is great if you are self-conscious about your appearance. Getting Invisalign is not obvious and you will not stand out.
2. Easy to maintain – They are easier to maintain than traditional braces. The transparent plastic can actually be removed to allow for brushing and eating and can then be replaced afterwards. There are generally no special requirements for their day to day maintenance.
3. Comfort – Based on users’ reviews, they are more comfortable to wear unlike regular braces that are difficult to get used to.
After knowing the benefits of using Invisalign, it is time to find out more about its costs.
Cost of Invisalign in Singapore
The cost of these aligners can range from $8000 to $9500 for the entire treatment. Some clinics provide the treatment for lower ($4500 to $6000). However, the lower quotations often don’t include expenses for pre-treatment and aftercare such as x-rays, bite guards, retainers and bite adjustment.
The cost of the treatment varies depending on:
1. The complexity and duration of the treatment – You will need to visit your dentist several times to have a new aligner fitted. More complex cases may require more visits and longer treatment. This is the reason why certain patients take more years to align their teeth.
2. The clinic – Different orthodontists charge different rates for their services. It is advisable to shop around for an orthodontist that you can afford. Do note that dentists and orthodontists aren’t exactly the same. Though they may have similar roles, dentists usually provide oral care services while orthodontists also deals with the correction of malpositioned teeth and jaws.
3. The package – There are different invisalign ‘packages’ available in Singapore. These include:
- i7 – This is the most economical package. It will allow you to have up to 7 aligners fitted.
- Lite – this allows you to have up to 14 aligners. The course of treatment may last for 6 to 7 months.
- Full – this is the most expensive package. It is suitable for complex cases. It allows for as many aligners as needed.
Applying for a Dental Loan with Credit 21
Credit 21 has introduced Dental Loans in order to meet the needs of all clients. Our basic requirements for accessing this loan are:
- Applicants to be a Singapore citizen or permanent resident. Foreigners who want to apply will be required to submit their employment pass.
- Applicants to be at least 21 years old.
- Applicants to have income.
Protecting your teeth and having good oral care is very important and one should not wait to get their required treatment. Getting a dental loan just means that you will get to care for your teeth without putting too huge a strain on your finances. Speak to us today to find out more about our dental loan or fill in our simple online loan application form and one of our loan officers will get back to you.