It is natural for one to be concerned about their body image because whether we admit it or not, people today often make judgements based on physical appearances. Being overweight or obese can be distressing for some. In the twenty-first century, a large person is often not considered to be ideal as far as physical attractiveness is concerned. This means that obese or overweight people may have challenges with romantic relationships, in their careers or are even considered to be weak-willed or lazy by others. Regardless of the environment or age, people who struggle with weight issues may face discrimination, bullying or torment.
Not only are there psychosocial effects, there are also unwanted and serious health concerns. You can calculate your BMI (Body Mass Index) here.With a high BMI value, people are at higher risks of the following health issues:
- Diabetes type II (1 in 9 Singaporeans suffer from Diabetes)
- High Blood Pressure (1 in 4 Singaporeans suffer from Hypertension)
- Sleep apnea
- Coronary heart disease
- Irregular periods which may lead to infertility
In some situations, they may face trouble losing that extra weight or face difficulties when they have the need to lose weight fast. If you have an upcoming wedding or event, you would definitely want to look your best. Ladies who have had children in the past are also often concerned about their appearances. Moreover, if you have several children and are unable to lose weight between babies, you can find that your weight piles on over the years.
Main causes of excess weight gain and problems people face when they try to lose them
The general cause of excess weight gain is that you are eating more than your body needs, and don’t move around enough. This is affected by your eating habits and your lifestyle. The calories you need in order to maintain your ideal body weight is dependent on several factors: your age, gender, activity level, and body size.
On average, a female adult requires 2000 calories a day and the male adult requires 2500 calories each day to maintain a healthy body. Women require lesser calories than men as they generally burn off less calories. This means that if you make food choices that consists of a lot of sugar and fat, then you are taking in a lot of calories that need to be shed through physical activity and exercise. If you do the former without the latter, you can expect to see an expanding waistline with time.
Unfortunately, carbohydrates and sugar can be addictive. That is why it is so difficult to give up your french-fries, cakes, sodas, fried food and bubble tea. If you have been trying to change your eating habits but keep falling off the healthy choices bandwagon, you may need to ask for help in the form of weight loss treatments.
Eating Habits That Can Lead to Weight Gain
The following eating habits are bound to see you gaining weight:
- Large portions. Your body does not need a lot of food to fuel it. However, if you take large portions on a regular basis such that you only stop eating when you are stuffed, weight gain will be inevitable.
- Eating out. The problem with eating out frequently is that you are surrounded by a large variety of options that look good but may not be good for you. You may choose to have a starter, main course, and a dessert loaded with sugar and fat. If you order fast foods, your choices will also likely be full of fat and salt.
- Alcohol consumption. There are plenty of calories in alcohol, so if you drink too much on a regular basis you will gain weight. Some people have the habit of drinking frequently, pumping large amount of calories into their bodies which will lead to weight gain.
- Processed foods. You should do your best to eat food in its natural form. Although they can be tasty and convenient, they are filled with sugar and fat which will lead to weight gain.
- Sugary drinks. These have a lot of calories and little nutritional value. If you reach for packet juices and soft drinks instead of water, you are contributing to weight gain.
- Comfort eating or comfort food. People tend to eat more food than they should when they feel upset or depressed. Overweight people have a higher tendency to overeat as they may have low self-esteem. When those feelings come upon them, they tend to eat as a pick-me-up. Eating makes the person feel good, but then he or she starts to feel ashamed when they are done, so they have to eat again to ‘feel better.’ It becomes an endless cycle of comfort eating, which leads to more weight gain.
The Sedentary Lifestyle That We Are Used To
The modern world has contributed to the sedentary lifestyle that most people live. That is why it is imperative that you are determined to get up and move for the sake of your health.
Unfortunately, if you are already very obese, moving can be a challenge. Even walking a few steps can cause one to tire out to the point of giving up. There are actually treatments that can help you get started on your way to health, so that you are able to engage in physical activity with ease in the future. Weight loss treatments can be expensive, but with our help you will be able to afford the necessary treatment to help you lose weight and work out!
Treatments for Weight loss
Admitting that you need help is the first step. Getting external help to manage your weight is nothing to be embarrassed about.
You need to approach a weight loss specialist who can work with you on your journey to a healthier and better you. You will be able to discuss the diet that will work best for you, the amount and type of physical exercise that you need, carry out tests on a variety of obesity-related conditions, and finally, check for any underlying causes for your weight gain. You will be required to make a lifestyle change, but you can do it.
Surgical Options – Weight Loss Surgeries
If you have an upcoming event and don’t have all the time in the world to lose the weight slowly, or if you have been struggling with weight issues for a while now, tried a variety of diets without success and need a bit more help, you should look into available surgical options.
Surgical options may sound intimidating but they are safe methods to lose weight under professional care. They are also one of the fastest and most effective process. Weight loss surgery is known as Bariatric surgery. It is a term used collectively for a variety of weight loss procedures and most of these procedures work by making you feel fuller faster or keep you feeling full for a longer period of time. They help to prevent overeating and ensure that you eat small portions of food in one seating. In the end, you will be able to lose a lot of weight in a shorter period of time and lead a healthier lifestyle.
In Singapore, there are 4 popular options where weight loss surgery is concerned. Here is a description of the different types of surgeries available:
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass – This procedure has become very popular today. The doctor creates a pouch the size of an adult thumb at the top of your stomach. This becomes the new size of your stomach meaning that you will be eating a lot lesser than you did before. You will also feel full very quickly and avoid over stuffing yourself.
- Gastric banding – Here, an inflatable band is placed in the upper part of your stomach. The band then creates a small pouch at the top, which limits how much food you are able to eat in one sitting. The band will help reduce portion sizes and reduce your appetite. You are encouraged to eat healthy food to sustain the weight loss.
- Sleeve gastrectomy – This procedure includes cutting off a portion of the stomach and what is left will be in the form of a tube. It helps you by reducing your appetite and food intake.
- Biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch – This procedure also works like sleeve gastrectomy in that a large part of your stomach will be removed. They leave your duodenum and the valve attached to it. The middle intestines are attached to the duodenum. This is what is referred to as the duodenal switch. The upper part of your intestines that have been bypassed are attached to the large intestine so that bile and pancreatic juices can continue flowing. This is the procedure referred to as a biliopancreatic diversion. This surgery offers a double whammy since the size of the stomach is reduced and the absorption of nutrients is limited.
Other treatments include vBloc Therapy, Duodenal Switch, AspireAssist and more. To find out what will work the best for you, you have to talk to your doctor.
Costs of Treatments
Treatment for weight loss can be lifesaving especially if you are facing health complications related to weight gain. Or, if you have a wedding coming up or some other event that you need to look good for, it can help you gain that much needed self-esteem.
You need to look at the cost keenly and also find out if your insurance covers the treatment cost partially. Certain insurance plan covers a part of the cost and you will have to source for the remaining amount on your own. However, if your insurance does not cover bariatric surgery, you will have to raise the entire hefty sum. On average, the cost of Bariatric surgery in Singapore ranges from $6,000 to $10,000 if are subsidized and can reach up to $20,000 if you are paying out of your own pocket. This of course, depends on the procedure you will be undergoing.
If you don’t have this kind of money, neither should you despair nor or give up on the journey to a healthier you. Credit 21 can help you with your finances to make this most important change. We offer loans to help you cover the surgical procedure with easy repayment terms. Our loan officers will be happy to answer any of your questions and should you be able to provide all the necessary supporting documents, the entire loan process can be completed within an hour. Contact us today and let us see what we can do for you.